The Oxford Academy has a cashless catering system. This system allows us to continue with the development of the school meals service and provides us with a more efficient, faster and ultimately better quality of service.
The system incorporates the latest biometric technology which enables students to purchase their school meals and load money onto their accounts using their thumb.
We offer the two payment options - online payments and coin/note payments at the revaluation pay points.
Benefits of the cashless catering system
- Increased speed of service reducing queuing times
- Facility to pay online
- Automatic alerts to stop pupils purchasing allergy trigger items
- Students learn about important lifestyle control by monitoring their own accounts
- Reporting facilities help decrease wastage and improve the overall efficiency of the meal service
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q What is a cashless system?
- A Cashless Catering System is a solution which is purpose designed to meet the ever evolving needs and demands of the catering provision, required by today’s schools and academies. The Trust-e Cashless Solution allows schools to be better able to provide their students and staff with a faster, more efficient and more appealing meal service.
- Q What is ‘biometric?’
- A Biometric is simply a method of identifying an individual person. The Trust-e Cashless System uses and algorithm based scan, which reads between 50 and 130 points on the finger/thumb. It is not a fingerprint in any way, shape or form and is of use only in the Cashless System.
- Q How does a biometric system work?
- A The information of a pupil or staff member, who has been biometrically registered, is stored on a secure biometric controller within the school, which only your provider, Nationwide Retail Systems, can access with permission from the school. Once an account is credited, the pupil or staff member places their finger/thumb on the EPOS Terminal Biometric Reader, which looks up their account and allows them to purchase items using only this method of identification.
- Q How does my child register on the biometric system?
- A Registration days will take place leading up to the ‘go live’ day of the Cashless System. During these days, registration terminals will be placed in the school. Your child will attend at a requested time and will be required to place their finger/thumb on the Biometric Reader twice to obtain a matching template, which only takes a few seconds. If you have chosen to opt-out of this procedure, your child will be presented with a 4 digit PIN code.
- Q What methods of payment can be used to credit an account?
- A Any amount can be credited to an account by way of any of the following methods. Once an account has been credited, the monies cannot be withdrawn and must be spent on the school meal/break services.
- Q Cash at the Revaluation Units
- A Revaluation units will be sited at different locations within the school. These can be used to top up accounts by the pupil/member of staff placing their registered finger or thumb on the Biometric Reader; swiping or tagging their registered card or by entering their 4 digit PIN Code followed by inserting the accepted tender: £20, £10, £5 notes or £2, £1, 50p, 20p, 10p or 5p coins. Please note that copper coins are not accepted.
- Q Online Payments
- A Account name: The Oxford Academy Trust Catering Account: Account number 03276031 Sort code: 20-65-46 Ref: please quote your child's name as reference. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to notify us once a payment has been made to ensure that the funds are allocated to the pupils account without delay.
- Q How can I check the credit on an account?
- A This can be done by the account holder either placing their finger/thumb on the Revaluation Machine scanner, swiping or tagging their card or entering a 4 digit PIN code. The current balance will then be displayed.
- Q Can I change my child’s ‘daily spend limit?’
- A Yes – the amount your child can spend throughout one day can be changed by written request to Jo Winterbourne, Student Welfare Manager.
- Q What happens if my child’s account is not in credit?
- A A ‘lend’ can be processed at the EPOS terminal, which will then allow a meal to be taken.
- Q How do ‘free meal’ entitlements work?
- A All free meal entitlements will be entered on to the system prior to the ‘live’ day. The Cashless Catering System will, on a daily basis, automatically allocate the appropriate accounts with the free school meal amounts. Pupils with FSM entitlement remain anonymous at all times as all account types are accessed in the exact same manner, regardless of whether paid for or not. Please note that any monies not spent from the daily free meal allocation will not be carried over to the next day.
- Q Can anyone else use my child’s account?
- A No – due to the extensive security on biometric templates, no-one will be able to access your child’s account. As a secondary precaution, a photo image is allocated to each pupil (at the schools discretion). If your child is using a 4 digit PIN code, which someone obtains and attempts to use, the photograph shown at the EPOS Terminal will alert the operator of a fraudulent sale.
- Q My child has an allergy. Will this be monitored through the Cashless System?
- A Yes – all allergy records registered with the school will be entered on to the Cashless System. When pupils attempt to purchase an item, which contains ingredients that they are allergic to, the system will alert the operator and prevent them from selling the chosen item.
- Q Can I dictate my child’s dietary requirements?
- A The system will allow you to register any items that your child cannot consume due to dietary needs or religious reasons. Any such items must be confirmed in writing by the parent/ guardian, and addressed to the Student Welfare Manager, The Oxford Academy.
- Q Can I request a printed report of my child’s meal intake?
- A Yes – the Cashless Catering Solution allows numerous reporting facilities, including dietary habits. These may be requested by contacting Jo Winterbourne, Student Welfare Manager.
Click here for a Parents Information pack