Funding for the 16-19 Bursary comes from central Government but is administered by schools and colleges. The fund is intended to provide financial support to help 16-19 year olds continue in full-time education, where they might otherwise struggle for financial reasons.
The 16-19 Bursary Fund has two elements:
The Government has agreed that some students may be entitled to a bursary of £1,200 a year. You could receive this bursary if you are in one of the following categories:
- You are living in care or have recently left living in care
- You (not your parent/carer) are receiving income support or universal credit
- You are disabled and receiving Employment Support Allowance and Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payments
Once guaranteed bursaries have been allocated, The Oxford Academy will use the remaining funds to offer discretionary bursaries to students in most need of financial support. You will be eligible for a discretionary bursary if you are on the free school meals register or if your parent/carer is in receipt of any of the following support payments (assuming they do not receive Working Tax Credit):
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
- State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit provided there is no entitlement to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs
- Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
Terms and conditions
Payment of the Bursary will be conditional on meeting agreed standards of attendance, behaviour and completion of work as follows:
- 95% attendance or above
- Deadlines for coursework and homework being met
- Acceptable progress towards academic targets being made, as evidenced in reports
If you do not meet these requirements, bursary payments may be discontinued.
Please contact your learning provider or the Sixth Form Administrator for further details of the Bursary Fund.
Unexpected and acute financial hardship (mid course)
You might be eligible for a small one off hardship grant if you find yourself in unexpected and acute financial hardship mid way through your course. You can apply for special consideration by writing to Director of Sixth Form.
For further information, read our 16-19 Bursary Fund Policy here.